Author Topic: Problem in changing or erasing text  (Read 10122 times)

noemi

• View Profile
Problem in changing or erasing text
« on: October 09, 2009, 14:03:09 »
Hello,

I've started to use SV since a few days, in order to put some short texts at specific locations on a recording.
So I have placed annotations in several places, along the sound-file representation.
But I have a double problem now :
- When I want to double-click on a text which is yet placed, in order to change the contents of the text, I can't.
- when I want to use the rubber, I can't. I tried to click on the text-frame by clicking on it with the rubber tool but the frame isn't selected so it does'nt work. How can I do to erase wrong frame of text ?

Thank you so much for helping me as soon as possible...

Noemi

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem in changing or erasing text
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:51:37 »
You are using the Text layer type?

I've just tested this and it does seem to work OK here.

What I did was:

1. Layer -> Add New Text Layer (defaults to pencil tool)
 2. Click on new layer
 3. Dialog appears: Type some text, hit OK (label appears on layer)
 4. Switch to Edit tool
 5. Move mouse over the label (label turns to inverse colour scheme to show it's the one that will be edited)
 6. Double-click
 7. Dialog appears: Type new text, hit OK (text in label changes)
 8. Switch to Erase tool
 9. Move mouse over the label (label turns to inverse again)
 10. Click
 11. Label disappears

If the above sequence is the same as you are trying to do and it doesn't work for you, then there is clearly some problem -- at which of the above steps does it stop working properly when you try this?  And, which version of SV and which operating system are you using?

Thanks,

Chris

noemi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:43 »
Thank you for your help :

so these steps are working until the fourth :
when I "Switch to Edit tool" (two double-arrows), and when I double-click on the label already created, it doesn't turn to another colour, and it doesn't open up. However, the cursor is changing into an arrow pointed up.
So what can I do now ?

I precise that otherwise, when I have juste created a new text, if I want to change it, without waiting a long time, it works well !

So would the problem origin from layers active or not actives ?
I thought I was working with one layer for putting all my labels, but maybe not ... ?!

Thank you again for your next answer,

Noemi

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 16:32:17 »

Hello -- If you're still there, any chance you could try out this new Windows test build?

http://sonicvisualiser.org/pre/sv-win32-20091027.zip

(The zip file contains the Sonic Visualiser executable and nothing more.)

I've made some changes to the text tool and ideally I'd like to check whether they help the situation at all for you before I release.

Thanks!

Chris

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 14:57:22 »
Well, I decided I might as well do a 1.7.1 release anyway -- so do try the proper 1.7.1 now it's out, and see whether that works any better.  The file on the /pre page (which I linked to in my earlier post) will be taken down again shortly.

Thanks,

Chris

noemi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 12:11:08 »
Thank you very much for your help.
Since our last conversation, I've become aware that I had created a new layer each time I put a new label... so I've finally found the solution by myself : I just have to click on the right layer to activate it (on the right side of the window) and then I can change the text of the label. All works normally, I just hadn't understood how it works...
In any case, thank you for the new update,
noemi

PS : To indicate you another strangeness (even if it's not very important) : when I doubleclick on a session (.sv), the program is opening immediatly, but the session doesn't... then I have to do again another click to open it, on Open session, or Recent files.