Author Topic: Saving My Preferences To Appear at Startup  (Read 8386 times)

monongahela

• View Profile
Saving My Preferences To Appear at Startup
« on: April 25, 2011, 17:51:19 »
I'm a big fan of SV and have used it since 1.7.1 to study wildlife audio recordings. I've become very familiar with the tool and how to tune it to get the most out of the sound files I study. But I have one vexing issue that I sorely wish you would help me with.

I have my own preferences for what I need to see when I open a sound file in SV. But when SV starts up with its standard appearance, I am left with several minutes of configuration changes that I must repeatedly walk through, for every new audio file I open. Yes, I do save my settings to a unique session for each audio file before I close. But that doesn't solve the problem for all the new files I've yet to open. Over the course of a day I can open hundreds of new audio files, and have to repeat those "tweaks" repeatedly.

And yes, I have started to drag and drop each new audio file into a standard session that reflects the tuning I desire, but this is still a work around to what we truly need from SV. (Using this approach I have accidentally overwritten existing session files.)

NEEDED: A method to save an individual user's settings as the default view for how SV will open all future audio files, effectively establishing a new "default" setting. In addition to this, there should be a method of reverting to the standard SV settings, should the user desire to do so.

Can we PLEASE get something like this into the next minor release of SV. This is a great tool but that one niggling issue of saving user defaults has been a big pain when I try to convince other researchers of how "user friendly" this tool can be.

Thanks.

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Saving My Preferences To Appear at Startup
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 16:22:21 »
Thanks for the note -- you make a persuasive case.  I'll have a look and see how much work would be involved.  I think some of the work may have been done already for a different purpose, so let me check up on that.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 16:27:32 by cannam »

grh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:20:50 »
Hallo!

Actually this would also solve the problem I mentioned in http://vamp-plugins.org/forum/index.php/topic,187.0.html .
Would be really nice !

LG

monongahela

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:43 »
Thanks Cannam. I really do hope something can be worked out, without too much effort. I think it would be a huge time saver for the user, and I'll certainly look forward to using it. ;D

Monongahela

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:24:55 »
The new version 1.9 contains a template feature which I hope will go some way to addressing this -- see the short description at http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/doc/reference/1.9/en/#templates .

Let me know how you find this; it can be refined in further point releases as necessary.

Chris

monongahela

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 03:52:49 »
Hi Cannam, I downloaded v1.9 the day you posted it and have been using it all week. The session template works GREAT. Very well done and I really appreciate that you took the time to make this improvement. I've already told my friends how nice the feature is (it really saves me a lot of time) and they'll be downloading the new version soon, too.

I also like the sample templates that you set up. Nice touch which helps the user understand what the feature can do.

Keep up the good work :D
Monongahela