Author Topic: Licensing a Vamp plug-in  (Read 5246 times)

jean-louis

• View Profile
    • durrieu.ch
Licensing a Vamp plug-in
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:00:55 »
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask: I used the skeleton from the plug-in SDK to make my plug-in. Can I release the source code and provide these source files (notably the modified plugins.cpp)? Is there some restrictions on the license I have to use in this case?

By the way, if I release the binaries (for free), are there restrictions? As I understand, the license on the SDK is quite loose w.r.t. that aspect. Of course, since I use other libraries (atlas, fftw), I ll check on those too... By the way, the fftw license is a GPL, which, from what I understand, makes it compulsory that I also release the source code, am I right?

Regards !

Jean-Louis

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Licensing a Vamp plug-in
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 18:02:04 »
Hello!

The entire Vamp SDK, including the skeleton code, is under a very liberal BSD-style license.  You may use it in any project commercial or free, open-source or closed.

I think you're right about FFTW -- if you want to use it in closed-source software (even if it's free) you would need to approach MIT for a commercial license.

Chris

jean-louis

• View Profile
    • durrieu.ch
Re: Licensing a Vamp plug-in
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:14:27 »
Thanks for the answer!

About licensing, since I am willing to provide the source, I guess I will no big issue there... Can something go wrong?

jean-louis