Author Topic: sonic visualiser real time?  (Read 8849 times)

jelle

• View Profile
sonic visualiser real time?
« on: March 28, 2011, 14:31:27 »
Hi,
I use Sonic Visualiser to analyse industrial sounds like vibrations from pipelines. Is it possible to feed audio real time into Sonic Visualiser? Or what would it take to modify the program to accommodate this? In a best case Sonic would enable real time vibration monitoring...
Regards,
Jelle

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: sonic visualiser real time?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 14:57:14 »
I use Sonic Visualiser to analyse industrial sounds like vibrations from pipelines. Is it possible to feed audio real time into Sonic Visualiser? Or what would it take to modify the program to accommodate this?

Hello there, and again my apologies for not attending to this sooner.

I'm afraid the short answer is that this is not possible at all and that none of the current code is designed in a way that would make it easy to adapt to real-time use.  A very early design decision was made with SV to handle only offline use cases, but to do so for arbitrarily large files, and this decision permeates quite a lot of the code.

I'm not quite sure what other utilities to suggest (does anyone else have any ideas?)  Perhaps baudline?

Chris

monongahela

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 17:54:26 »
It might be possible to do something in Audacity. Audacity can record audio from an input source (mic, line-in) and display spectrograms. Although I've never tried to record while in spectrogram view, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The big issue is how inadequate Audacity's spectrograms are when compared to Sonic Viisualiser's. You'll have to get used to that.

sqz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 15:18:05 »
jelle, you are looking for a 'realtime' solution in the 'linear-content' domain.
Sonic visualiser completely is in the 'linear-content' domain, as it works with pre-recorded data.

If you want to analyse realtime try searching for:

- audio analysation, spectrum meter plugins @ www.kvr-vst.com
- find a vst host @ www.kvr-vst.com

A VST is a plugin, so in your VST host, you should feed the line-in of your soundcard to your VST plugin.