Author Topic: Sonic Visualizer 1.7.2 crash on launch in Windows XP  (Read 6424 times)

jgtaylor

• View Profile
Sonic Visualizer 1.7.2 crash on launch in Windows XP
« on: November 19, 2010, 21:24:24 »
Hello,
I have downloaded SV1.7.2 executable for Windows but when I try to launch I get the following message from the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Lib:
Application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team.

The changes document for SV 1.7.2 indicates that 1.7.2 was supposed to fix this problem.  Apparently this fix has not been entirely effective.  I'm running Win XP SV3.  I'm having no problems with any other audio programs.  Any ideas about what might be causing this and if there is anything I can do about this, except wait for a fix?

Thanks!
jgtaylor

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Visualizer 1.7.2 crash on launch in Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:42:33 »
Hm, interesting.

Can you try out this build, please? --

http://sonicvisualiser.org/pre/sonic-visualiser-win32-test-20101025.zip

Chris

jgtaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 14:23:23 »
Hi Chris -
Thanks for the prompt response. I'm afraid I get the identical error with this build too...
Any other suggestions?  Should I consider reinstalling the C++ Runtime?
If there's anything else I can do to help with this let me know.

I'm going to download this program to another pc in the house and see what happens just out of curiousity. Will let you know what transpires.

best regards,
Joel

jgtaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 15:59:44 »
Hi Chris -

I downloaded and installed this build on a dell inspiron laptop running Win XP and it runs without any problems. I haven't tested it extensively or anything like that, but it launches and appears to be functional on first glance.

The machine I was using is a custom assembled box with an quadcore AMD processor.  If this is the problem, it will be a first for me, but that is the only reason I can think of off hand that the code would run on one machine and not on the other. Admittedly, the desktop is loaded with audio software, compilers and so-forth, and the laptop is running almost nothing...However there is plenty of ram and diskspace in the desktop so that can't be the problem.

Unless I have any other ideas, I guess I'll start using my wife's laptop to run SV, at least for now.
If you have any other ideas that you want me to try re testing,  feel free to ask.

Thanks!
Joel