Author Topic: Get the Chord sequence from a song  (Read 11244 times)

terataz

• View Profile
Get the Chord sequence from a song
« on: October 06, 2009, 13:27:04 »
Hi All,
I'm trying to get the chord sequence for a song.
For this task i'm using vamp:qm-vamp-plugins:qm-keydetector:key since from their Doc they state

"Key Detector analyses a single channel of audio and continuously estimates the key of the music by comparing the degree to which a block-by-block chromagram correlates to the stored key profiles for each major and minor key. "

I'm starting with a simple song, with clear, acoustic guitar changes (Wish you were here, Pink Floyd) but the results I'm getting are not encouraging: both the sequence and the timeline for the chords are quite wrong.

I'm quite new to the field so i'm probably doing something wrong here.
Or maybe there are some better Vamp plugin for the job out there...

Thanks
Frank Danieli

matthiasm

• View Profile
Re: Get the Chord sequence from a song
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 14:08:55 »
Hi Frank,

Bad news first: There is currently no vamp plugin for chord extraction that I am aware of. That's a bit of a shame, especially since I am actually doing research on chord extraction from audio. But my stuff generally too complicated for me to try and rewrite it all in C++ for the Vamp plugin.

Secondly: Please be aware that the key extraction plugin is no chord extraction plugin. Keys describe the tonality of a chunk of music, which usually contains many chords, so there is quite some difference between the two concepts. Consequently, you cannot expect the key extractor to give you good chord estimates (or indeed good beat estimates ;) ).

There may be hope though, since I know that we (Centre for Digital Music at Queen Mary) are going to release Vampy soon (should be a matter of hours or a few days), and I could relatively easily write a Vampy plugin for you for a very basic chord estimation. So, watch the news about Vampy and make it work on your system. Then tell me, and I'm sure we can come up with something.

Best,
Matthias

terataz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 16:59:50 »
Matthias,
many thanks for your reply.
I will keep an eye for the Vampy release.

I'll contact you then,
Kind Regards
Frank

matthiasm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 16:34:43 »
Hi,

Check it out now!
http://www.vamp-plugins.org/vampy.html

I'll try my best to find some time for a chord plugin...

Matthias

matthiasm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:22:38 »
Hi Frank,

So, now there's actually a Vamp plugin that does that: Chordino 0.2, available at http://isophonics.net/nnls-chroma

Should be very easy to install. An installation video for Mac OS is available here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtkaoV0N48&hd=1

All the best,
Matthias