Author Topic: trojan in the exe-file  (Read 4599 times)

Sound analyser

• View Profile
trojan in the exe-file
« on: October 09, 2014, 12:50:21 »
My Panda virus software detects the trojan Trj/Krap.W when I finish my installation of Sonic Visualiser (Windows) and automatically deletes the exe-file. Can anyone explain this?

Best regards
S. A.

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: trojan in the exe-file
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 13:15:47 »
Hi -- That looks alarming.

I have just re-checked the binaries and the machine image on which the application was built and packaged using Microsoft's malware scanner and found no sign of anything wrong.

I'm fairly sure this must mean the alert from Panda is a false positive. The Panda database gives essentially no information about what this trojan is thought to consist of, so it's quite hard to check, but it does say it was added to the database five years ago which suggests that any other malware scanner should pick it up as well if it is genuine.

I will see whether I can learn anything else about what is going on here.

Thanks,

Chris

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 14:14:34 »
I have also re-checked with Avast, and double-checked the actual file that is provided for download at the Sonic Visualiser download page, and have continued to find nothing wrong. Builds are carried out on a virtual machine dedicated to the task, which I would have expected to be clean.

I then tested with Panda to see whether I got the same result as you, and I found that I did -- it gives me the same report for the Sonic Visualiser 2.4.1 executable. I believe it is simply mistaken, but it's not clear to me how I could prove that.

Chris

cannam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 14:24:37 »
I've sent a note to the Panda false-positives email address asking if they can look into this.

Chris

Sound analyser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 19:14:20 »
Thank you for your quick response and for your help. I guess I'll change some settings in Panda.

S. A.