Author Topic: Sonic Visulaiser Playback Problem in Ubuntu 9.10  (Read 5422 times)

kvmapr

• View Profile
Sonic Visulaiser Playback Problem in Ubuntu 9.10
« on: October 30, 2009, 14:17:21 »
I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 last night, and it was a flawless experience, until I fired up Sonic Visualiser. I found Visualiser is still capable of opening audio files and creating the spectrograms that I need it for, but it fails to actually play back any audio. I double checked my other audio applications, like Audacity and Amarok, and they play back audio files just fine. But when I load an audio file into Visualiser, then click the play icon, nothing happens. It won't even begin to play.

Anyone else encountering this problem?
Thanks,
KVMAPR

Luctor

• View Profile
Re: Sonic Visulaiser Playback Problem in Ubuntu 9.10
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 13:50:15 »
Yup, doesn't work. I believe it has something to do with pulseaudio
I had to recompile sonicvisualiser

mark_orion

• View Profile
Re: Sonic Visulaiser Playback Problem in Ubuntu 9.10
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 19:34:33 »
I wonder if SV is trying to play back through ALSA while the sound output is locked by the pulseaudio sound server. I had lots of trouble with audio in the original 9.10 installation and decided to get rid of the main culprit - pulseaudio.
I know it is very difficult to get rid of pulseaudio in Karmic after some wise designers decided to remove the option to disable pulse. Switching from Gnome to KDE with its new phonon multimedia API solved all my audio problems.
Everything works fine (including Sonic Visualizer) after that.